Friday, February 19, 2010

Things that remind me of people...

I skipped a day of blogging but I had good reason. I had paperwork to do and I applied for a job, which takes longer than one would think. My writing is always time consuming, that’s why I’m doing this blog, so I can get better at writing…how’s that goin’? The job is with the Audubon Society of Western PA the title is “Native Plant Center Coordinator”. I’m perfect for that position…I hope they hire me!!

I thought of a couple topics I want to cover, but I can only remember one right now…Things that remind me of someone. For example, when I wax my legs I think of my friend, Carrie Quinn. She introduced me to leg waxing and the pain associated with it. She also taught me to exfoliate or you’ll get ingrown hairs…not pleasant! I met Carrie on the bus. I often think if it had been after the cell phone became popular or the ipod, we probably wouldn’t have met, everyone being in their own little world. But this was at a time when you read on the bus or stared out the window or watched people. On this particular morning, I was people watching. I was watching a couple people across from me talk over an open seat, and Carrie was standing, being polite. After 5 minutes or so, I suggested that the two sit together so Carrie could have a seat. OH! What a concept. That’s how I remember it. We were friends from then on. Carrie is my kick-boxing, ballerina friend who taught me about leg waxing. She was there the moment I discovered that my business was over because my partner had gone behind my back and taken over the lease. She introduced me to bad movie marathons, although that was mostly her and Brett…boy were they bad movies! She moved to California, married a guy from college that she was secretly in love with the whole time, and now has a gorgeous daughter. I’m so happy to still have Carrie in my world and now in my daily life…thanks FB!

The microwave reminds me of my friend Bill. We were friends in the 80's in Southern California, until he went to the army. I lived with his mom and brother and sister my senior year of high school when my folks moved to Pittsburgh. He came back form the army and it was a full house. He loved the microwave! He would cook hot dogs wrapped in a damp paper towel. He used the microwave for everything from drying herbs to fireworks displays (he came home from a night out and decided he wanted to see just what would happen if you put metal in the microwave!) Bill was a trip! Don’t know what the army did to him…before he left we were such good friends, but when he came back he was stuck in his own little world... in his head…sometimes trying to talk to him I felt like an interrogator, he wouldn't peep! The army prepared him for the enemy, unfortunately it seemed that's what I had become to him. I saw him once after I left California, and now I hear he’s "born again" and has something like 5 or 6 kids. Good for him! I hope he’s had a good life! (sincerely) I still think about him when I’m using my microwave!

That’s all for now…second install after I finish my essay…

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I totally remember when we met on the bus. So glad you associate me with pain and hairlessness. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, I don't know why it's calling me "Harry." That's weird and random.

    - Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wait, I figured it out. My sister and I have characters on a blog (which we haven't done anything with.) She's Juan Test-Ickle and I'm Harry Test-Ickle. There's more but I won't get into it here.

    ReplyDelete